It’s a popular time of year to host a fall or harvest festival. The change of seasons invites a certain anticipation for cooler temperatures, beautiful fall landscapes and gatherings to celebrate the fall bounty. As with any event, you need to be aware of the insurance requirements, guidelines and coverage limitations for such gatherings.
- Consider that alcohol at events may not be something covered by a standard policy. It is possible a special event policy is needed to protect against the added exposure incurred by alcohol sales at festivals and events. Please inquire about coverage limitations and requirements for such exposures.
- Events that are open the general public are considered to be a higher risk, thus requiring additional underwriting and carrier approval. There may be additional endorsements to provide the additional coverage for larger community gatherings.
- Certificates of Insurance and Additional Insured status may be necessary if you are using an offsite location and/or allowing vendors on your premises. There may be contracts with specific language requiring such documents. Likewise, you may be required to obtain them per your own insurance carrier requirements. This is an important step for which you should allow an appropriate amount of lead time.
- Premise safety is important. Take extra time to decorate wisely by avoiding trip and fall hazards, maintaining good sight lines and using fire safe decorations. Also, use this time to be “company-ready” by fixing any maintenance issues and doing a quick loss control survey of your own.
- Be creative and consider that not all festivals need to be an over-the-top spectacle. The simple pleasure of sharing the gratitude of the harvest season can be celebrated in many safe and creative ways. However, if you are planning something more than a leisurely fellowship gathering, please contact your insurance representative to insure proper coverage is provided for your special event.
By following these basic guidelines, you can ensure a safe and enjoyable event. Have a great autumn season!
Looking for a New Insurance Company for your Church OR just want a Second opinion on your current coverage?
Contact us: Bill Quickel's - Insurance Plus Agencies Inc. 114 Court St. Pomeroy, Ohio 45769 740-992-6677